Strategies for Sustainable Communities
- What is a sustainable community?
- Planning for sustainable communities
- Common issues in comprehensive revitalization: Approaches, Resources, and Examples [link to content on slide 18]
- How can we support a local economy that creates decent, living-wage jobs for our residents?
- How do we strengthen our education and training system so that residents are prepared for these jobs?
How can we ensure that our community is safe?
- How can we create a sustainable and attractive physical fabric for our community – with efficient land use patterns and transportation networks, green space and healthy natural systems, walkable streets, well-maintained infrastructure, and preservation of neighborhood history?
- How can we encourage people to invest in and maintain a high quality housing stock while maintaining its affordability for people at many income levels (including both renters and owners)?
- How can we reinforce the social fabric of our community, so that diverse residents, business owners, and neighborhood organizations and institutions know one another and work together?
- How do we ensure that our children and youth can learn and grow?
- How do we promote the health of residents?
- How can we attract people to live, work, shop and play in our neighborhood?